In an effort to make consumers feel like they are “getting their money’s worth,” food companies and restaurants are making portion sizes larger and larger. And all this super sizing is adding a lot of extra calories to our plates!
While I’m not a calorie counter, I do try to watch my portion sizes. Do you know how many calories are in your favorite foods? Take the quiz below and find out. And don’t worry, I won’t stump you, the answers are below…but no cheating!
1. How many calories are in an average-sized, 6-inch bagel?
150 calories 250 calories 350 calories
2. Even though a serving of pasta is actually only one cup, we tend to eat two or three times that much per serving. How many calories would you expect to find in 2 cups of pasta with sauce and 3 meatballs?
600 calories 800 calories 1,025 calories
3. Chicken Caesar salad is a healthy option; right? I mean, after all, it is salad! How many calories do you think are in a three-cup portion serving of chicken Caesar salad?
520 calories 650 calories 790 calories
4. Portion sizes are growing and growing! 20 years ago a muffin was only 1.5 ounces and had 210 calories. How many calories do you think are in an average-sized muffin today?
320 calories 400 calories 500 calories
5. Fried chicken is a staple in many American households. How many calories do you think are in a medium piece of fried chicken?
150 calories 240 calories 320 calories
Look below for the answers!
Take care of yourself, be nice to yourself, and be well. And until next time – veg in, don’t veg out!
1. 350 calories
2. 1,025 calories
3. 790 calories
4. 500 calories
5. 320 calories