If you haven’t yet discovered Amaranth, now is the time to give it a try. Amaranth is nutty, peppery, and naturally gluten free! It is also an excellent source of the amino acid lysine, making it a complete protein, which is great for vegans and vegetarians looking to bump up their protein intake.
Amaranth is rich in fiber, calcium, iron, and magnesium, so there’s no reason not to give it a try!
Amaranth is very absorbent so when cooking it, you’ll need about 5 cups of water to cook 1 cup of the grain. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and then simmer for 20 – 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Amaranth is quite versatile, as it can be used as the base for a sweet or savory dish. Try mixing your cooked amaranth with sauteed vegetables (mushrooms are excellent) or make it a sweet breakfast dish by adding coconut milk, nuts, or fruit.
You can also get amaranth flour, which is great for gluten-free baking.
Ready to give amaranth a whirl? Of course you are! Check out the recipe below to get you started.
AMARANTH CORN CAKES
1 cup yellow cornmeal
3/4 cup amaranth flour
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 TBSP olive oil
1/4 cup diced onion
1/4 cup diced roasted red peppers
1 tsp minced garlic
2 TBSP white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp ground pepper
Coconut oil (for frying)
1. Combine cornmeal and flour in a large bowl.
2. Bring veggie broth to boil and pour the broth over the flour mixture. Stir and set aside; the consistency will be thick.
3. Heat olive oil over medium heat. Saute the onion, peppers and garlic until softened.
4. Stir in vinegar and seasonings.
5. Fold vegetable mixture into amaranth mixture. In a hot skillet with a little of the coconut oil, scoop batter into mounds, flatten slightly, and brown on both sides.
6. Drain off extra oil on paper towels.
Already an amaranth fan? Reply to this post and tell me how you use amaranth in your cooking!
And until next time, veg in, don’t veg out…
Want more recipes? Sign up for my monthly newsletter! Just go to http://www.thecaringcoachingcenter.com and click on the newsletter button.